Saturday, May 14, 2022

 May 2022


Welcome All!


The Kitchenphilosopher Blog began a number of years ago as a repository for a series of (allegedly) humorous articles published by NE Newspapers in Victoria, Australia over 7 years under the banner of The Kitchen Philosopher.  

The articles reflected my (sometimes a bit whacky!) observations and ideas about the world. I had great fun writing them and it made life more fun - even the stupidist happenings in my life could become fodder for my column!

But now, time has moved on.  I no longer write the column (my choice - kids left home and I was running out of ridiculous things). 

Plus I moved into an area of employment that has taken up so much of my headspace over the years.  A job I love and feel passionate about.  

My role for the past 10 years has been as a parent educator/group facilitator for a wonderful program called PEEP (Parents Early Education Partnership) for a local not for profit organisation. 

It has been my privilege and my pleasure to work with families from all backgrounds - all of whom who come to us with the same purpose in mind - to reflect on their parenting role, explore more about children's development and learning, meet other families and have a fun time with their children. What better way to spend some of your time as a parent!

Consequently I have learned many things, myself, over the years, both from these wonderful Mums and Dads and babies and kids and also through the research and learning I have undertaken during that time in order to be able to provide meaningful and researched backed information for our clients.

Two significant things have become abundantly clear to me:

1. the relationship a child has with it's main carer is the foundation for every other thing that happens in their life - from how they feel about themselves and others, to how they learn and thrive. A secure attachment is the key to everything!

2. reading with a child forms the basis for early literacy and further builds on warm and trusting bonds between parents and children.  Early literacy also sets a child up for further learning.

I've learned many more things - way too many to mention now - but these two are important for my own growth and understanding and also for helping to direct some of my life passions going forward.

As an artistic person, I have always enjoyed drawing and painting.  As a lover of words, I have always enjoyed reading and writing.

Now I bring those two loves together in my very first ever picture book.

Entitled "Kisses from Nanna" this cute little book was born in the midst of the Covid19 lockdowns which hit us heavily here in Victoria, Australia.  We went months without seeing our little grandchildren face to face and it was a hard time for everyone.

One night, I woke at about 2 am with a rhyme running through my head.  I realised it was significant and immediately got out of bed and wrote it down (before I forgot!)

Over the next few days I fleshed out the rhyme and ''Kisses from Nanna'' was born.  I remember phoning my son and daughter in law and attempting to read the words to them.  I could barely get them out as those words brought up so many emotions!

I later decided to add some pictures to the words - just so I could share this special poem with my grandchildren in a visual form.  I even had it printed out properly in a hard cover book! 

But of course that wasn't the end of it.  I showed the finished copy to family and friends and they all wanted to buy a copy!  OOps!  Looks like I needed to publish it afterall!

So after seeking out a publisher, I was fortunate enough to be offered a contract for Kisses for Nanna, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I hope this little book will bring pleasure and a reminder that, no matter how far away Nanna (or Grandma or Grandad or Poppy) is, those special little people are never far from our thoughts.

Enjoy!

Please visit the link below to find out more about purchasing your copy:

https://www.connorcourtpublishing.com.au/


And if you feel inclined to read some of the old Kitchenphilosopher articles contained in this blog, I hope you enjoy them. I can still get a chuckle from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment